 Harry Potter / 1365
Re: Spoiler!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:11:46 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Richard Marchetti wrote:

Couldn’t say. Wouldn’t either.

   Just curious, I’ve never read an HP book and I doubt I ever shall since it’s killing me to slog through LOTR (which I presume is better overall, but I could be wrong).

LOTR is written in a very classical manner (part of the reason why it’s accepted as a great literary work instead of tossed in a pile with every other fantasy novel). Part of the big problem with reading it is that 90% of the action is discussed, rather than performed. By that I mean the characters are constantly telling each other what they are doing rather than having the action relayed by basic exposition. It tends to slow the story down when you’re reading stuff like, “Hark, for I shall currently traverse this roomy expanse and place myself firmly upon those bones of earth,” rather than cutting it down to “The elf walked across the room and sat in a rock”. This is why LOTR is very popular amongst the literary elite, but not so much amongst the general public. The movies are scripted excellently, as they make the story accessible to everybody, but the books are a tough read for people who aren’t big on archaic forms of English.

HP was written for kids. You don’t pre-sell 40 million copies of a kids’ book by making it tough to read.