 General / 9741
  Three Cheers

[Crossposted to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics, and lugnet.announce; followups to lugnet.dear-lego] All, This is a rally for everyone to give a round of applause to the LEGO Group for its unprecedented overture this past week. (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.announce)

  Re: Three Cheers

(...) This is indeed a milestone, and I am thrilled to see these things occur. However, after considering the subject of this new openness I am neither quite as surprised nor quite as optimistic as would seem to be warranted. Why? What these events (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Three Cheers

Oh, I get the gist of your concern, because I have it too. After reading Todd's message, I was no less cynical about TLG than before, as this is just a narrow software focus, having nothing to do with The Brick. When they start dialogue about (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Three Cheers

(...) <snip reasoning> (...) I can understand the concerns you've put forward, but in essence, I don't care. I think any step forward is good. Consider: Someone at a Managerial level actually WANTS interaction with the adult community. How can that (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Three Cheers

I agree James, A step is a step! Granted I wish it was a little more towards the brick also, and not just one programable one.. though at least we've gotten this far.. It's better than nothing! I think they've finally realized the untapped potential (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Three Cheers

(...) I gotta weigh in on the cynical side, but who would have expected anything else from me? I'm reminded, after seeing several "finally, a first step" messages, of the gushy responses to the new parts packs this year - black roof bricks, black (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Three Cheers

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... (...) Let's not forget that we're dealing with a corporation here. That's why the overtures were directed at the perceived "adult" community and not the rest of us, or at Adult Fans of Lego as a whole. An (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Three Cheers

(...) The purpose of my post wasn't to try to convince people to be less cynical; I've never met a cynic who became uncynical overnight by direct persuasion or by happytalk. The purpose of my post is to draw wide attention to something positive (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Three Cheers

(...) There is a movie (a comedy) that came out in recent years called "What about Bob" staring Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss about a neurotic man following his new Psychiatrist on vacation ..... and in that movie Bill Murray followed the advice (...) (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics.events)

  Cynicism (Was: Three Cheers)

(...) I agree. The more persuasion, happytalk, and Oreos offered to me overnight, the less cynical *I* get. I bet even Mike Stanley has his buttons, too. I wonder if he'd ever admit what they are over the net...? :-, Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Cynicism (Was: Three Cheers)

(...) Well, I'd bet a pitchfork or two what a couple might be;^) -John (...) (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Three Cheers

(...) traditional (...) I think this is because software people realize the market of ALL people, while otherwise TLG don't get the fact that they shouldn't focus only on kids. I'm saying this as a 'girl', not "qualified" to be AFOL but still has (...) (25 years ago, 15-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)