 General / 9751
Re: Three Cheers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 11:59:44 GMT

I agree James, A step is a step! Granted I wish it was a little more
towards the brick also, and not just one programable one.. though at
least we've gotten this far.. It's better than nothing! I think they've
finally realized the untapped potential market, and that can be a great
thing for all of us, TLG included! It does show their attitude is
changing :)

I believe if Russell receives a warm welcome others will be allowed to
follow suit.  Hopefully from other departments within the company. (To
bad more departments weren't at MindFest) I have to think that they
chose the Mindstorms section to first get their feet wet bacause they
probably felt they wouldn't be bombarded with people demanding certain
things from them.. which isn't a bad thing... we all want Bulk
ordering.. though we need to let them explore this new territory a
little first!

I could go on with a few other suggestions though I know we are all
adults here or good at acting like one ;-)

I'm just very happy to see one step on TLG's part!
Tamy

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.general, Tom Stangl writes:
Oh, I get the gist of your concern, because I have it too.  After reading
Todd's message, I was no less cynical about TLG than before, as this is
just a narrow software focus, having nothing to do with The Brick.

When they start dialogue about longtime concerns with GETTING BRICKS (S@H
parts packs, bulk bricks, whatever, I don't care, as long as I can get
"bulk"), I'll be less cynical.

Steve Demlow wrote:
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
This is a rally for everyone to give a round of applause to the LEGO Group
for its unprecedented overture this past week.  Several very important and
wonderful things have just happened!

+ Direct participation in LUGNET newsgroups by a LEGO manager
+ Recognition of the existence of an adult LEGO Users Group (NELUG)
+ Recognition of a third-party software system (NQC)
+ Recognition of the adult robotics-hacker/hobbyist subcommunity

This is indeed a milestone, and I am thrilled to see these things occur.
However, after considering the subject of this new openness I am neither
quite as surprised nor quite as optimistic as would seem to be warranted.
Why? •  <snip reasoning>
I'm not trying to be pessimistic here - I really do hope that this is a
harbinger of things to come in TLG's approach to the fan community in areas
outside the software-related, but I see it as being a slow process at best.

I can understand the concerns you've put forward, but in essence, I don't care.
I think any step forward is good.

Consider: Someone at a Managerial level actually WANTS interaction with the
adult community.  How can that be anything but a huge leap forward?

I'm as hurting as the rest of you as far as desire for bulk orders is
concerned, but I will applaud any move forward, however small, or however
'irrelevant to the brick' it happens to be.

Bravo!

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

--