 General / 9697
9696  |  9698
Subject:
Table of Recorded First Sightings of Catalogs (was: Re: 2000 catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 19:52:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, "Daniel van Berkel" <dvanberkel@yahoo.com> writes:

I wrote:

I remember the 1998 catalog showed up in october '97.....and it is almost 2000
now!

I meant that end october '97, i bought my first divers-set and it contained a
mini-1998 catalog

The 1998 catalog actually first showed up on October 6, 1997 (early
October), and that way *very* early for a full catalog to show up.  The
rumor going around at that time was that the printing company who printed
catalogs for TLG in the U.S. had made a printing-ratio mistake and hadn't
printed enough of the '97 catalogs compared to the '98 catalogs, and when it
came time to deliver the catalogs to TLG, they were all out of '97 catalogs
and could only deliver '98 catalogs.  Some kind of queueing or print-run
scheduling problem.

Anyway, statistically, we're still a week or two away from a "truly telling"
sheet catalog and about three to four weeks away from a full catalog.
Here's a chart of recorded "first sightings":

        RECORDED FIRST SIGHTINGS OF OFFICIAL LEGO PRODUCT CATALOGS

Product
   Year    Discovered     Size    Discovered By
-------   -----------   ------   ------------------------------------------

   1994    16 Nov 1993   Sheet1   Bob Devaney <devaney@axp3.acf.nyu.edu>
   1994     4 Dec 1993   Poster   Lance Visser <visser@convex.com>
   1994     5 Dec 1993   Sheet2   Lance Visser <visser@convex.com>