 General / 9119
9118  |  9120
Subject:
Why basic bricks are cheap in US (was Re: More Mindfest Tidbits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:37:55 GMT

Ray Sanders wrote in message <3815C171.E7E205BE@gate.net>...
There seems to be a disparity between the costs of bricks in the bulk
tubs and parts in general. Bricks in bulk tub vary around 1.5 - 2 cents
each. In general set parts seem to cost 10 cents (or higher) per piece
on average.

<Speculation>

Could it be that Enfield only makes bricks ? Every box that I have
mentions "Contents made in DENMARK, SWITZERLAND AND USA". Are all the
special parts made in Europe ? The Duplo Toolo I have even says
"Contents made in SWITZERLAND & USA" (no mention of Denmark). Is it
possible that all the parts we want would have to be made in Europe ? If
so, then Enfield does not even have the molds.

I think you may be right for at least some of the 'special' pieces. For
example, the technic pieces are produced in Swiss mainly.

BUT, there's also another reason why basic brick tubs are much cheaper than
regular sets. In the US, LEGO has to compete with legal clones for the basic
bricks. In Europe clones are not legal because the shape of the basic bricks
are copyright protected (even though the orginal patents don't apply
anymore). For example, we do have the megablock company active on our
market, but they do not put out lego-sizes building blocks.
So for the US market, LEGO puts out special 'value' tubs, which are not in
the European catalog at all. The 'Classic' sets *are* but are more expensive
per piece. Hence the price difference in the US between Classic brick sets
and Value Tub brick sets.

Eric Brok