 General / 8061
Re: History of LEGO series........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:00:17 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> writes:

Several folks have offered me website space for my "History of LEGO
(piece name) Part 1 ..etc." series.  Thanks for the offers folks!

I am still mulling over what I want to do with it.  I am even
considering the possibility of a book (I know ... how pretentious) on
the History of LEGO 1955-72, with possibly a section on old catalogs,
one on old LEGO ads, and another on the sets from that era.  The
logistics (and time involved) make this option unlikely, so a website
might be the way to go.  I'd sure like to talk to Henry Wiencik (author
of THE WORLD OF LEGO TOYS) and ask him about what he went thru.  (I did
talk to him back in 1986 when he interviewed me for his book.)    One
thing I can guarantee though, no pricelist will be a part of any website
or book.

Anyway, I've got about 150 scans of old sets, catalogs, brochures, etc,
so whatever project I undertake, it has already started.

What you're doing is incredible work, Gary!  Since these come only every so
often, I hadn't realized all the work that had been put into the lot of 'em
until I did a news-article search.  I'll be first in line if you publish a
book!

BTW, for anyone who wants to go back and read what Gary has written (and
posted) so far, here's a page bookmarking the articles:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=history-of-lego

If I missed anything, lemme know!

--Todd

Wow, thanks Todd!!

I really don't think that I have the time (or energy) to write a book.  There
are too many other things going on in my life right now.  Maybe I'll just keep
posting these for the time being.  I do like the fact that you kind of packaged
it together in LUGNET Todd.  It looks great!  The good part of doing this
online is that when someone discovers a new color or type for an old LEGO piece
style, we can update the document.   I know that several folks have graciously
offered me space on their websites for this info, but I kind of feel that
LUGNET is already the LEGO Super Site, with lots of reference info available,
so if I put this info online anywhere, LUGNET seems the logical fit.  If that
would be OK with Todd.

Someone asked why I would end the LEGO info at 1972.  Well 1972 is probably the
biggest benchmark in LEGO history.  That was the last year for the old LEGO
logo, the last year of USA Samsonite Lego, and the dawning of the "specialty
parts" era that dominates LEGO sets today.  This was the last year dominated
by  the "classic" scale for LEGO building (1 door = 3 bricks high) that was in
use since the dawning of the "Town Plan" back in the 1950's.  In the next few
years (after 1972) the 4 brick high 1x3x4 opening door (for the minifig stiffs)
came into existence (for a few years, before being replaced by the 1x4x5 door
in the late 70's), heralding the beginning of a new era in LEGO - the Minifig
Era.

So that's why 1972 is the logical choice for the ending date, as opposed to a
few years later.

Gary Istok