 General / 8016
Re: History of LEGO series........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 00:32:09 GMT

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 02:37:14PM +0000, Gary Istok wrote:
Several folks have offered me website space for my "History of LEGO
(piece name) Part 1 ..etc." series.  Thanks for the offers folks!

I am still mulling over what I want to do with it.  I am even
considering the possibility of a book (I know ... how pretentious) on
the History of LEGO 1955-72, with possibly a section on old catalogs,
one on old LEGO ads, and another on the sets from that era.  The
logistics (and time involved) make this option unlikely, so a website
might be the way to go.  I'd sure like to talk to Henry Wiencik (author
of THE WORLD OF LEGO TOYS) and ask him about what he went thru.  (I did
talk to him back in 1986 when he interviewed me for his book.)    One
thing I can guarantee though, no pricelist will be a part of any website
or book.

Anyway, I've got about 150 scans of old sets, catalogs, brochures, etc,
so whatever project I undertake, it has already started.

I would suggest, if you decide to publish a book, to ask around for people
who have done them.  You might try asking around some of the Open Source Software
about their experience, since I know that some have had problems with
sharing their work freely on-line, while getting it published.

I am making one assumption that you want to keep publishing your articles
to LUGNET and make them available to everyone.  If you don't wish to or
are comfortable with having a publish require you not to, then this isn't
such a concern.

When I offered my site for hosting, I had assumed that you would want
other people's feed-back and their takes on it.  But that's the way *I*
like doing things.

Either way, I'll be happy to buy a copy of such a book, offer comments,
etc. to the best of my ability.

Best of luck,
Christian Holtje (DocWhat)

BTW: I feel I should add a disclaimer, having worked very hard for the
last week on minimal sleep, I may not be too coherent.  Is the room
supposed to wobble around?

--
"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"
--Winston Zeddmore (Ghostbusters)

The Doctor What: A really hip dude               http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                    (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC