 General / 7962
Re: Hurricane Floyd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:12:21 GMT

For an idea of the seriousness of this flooding check out:

http://www.rtpnet.org/uufrya/sneck.html

This facility has never flooded before in its 100 year history. It is
near Burgaw NC in Pender County, near the Cape Fear River.

The name of the facility, Shelter Neck, comes from its being a high
point, safe from flooding.

For those interested in just what this facility is, it was built at the
turn of the century by Unitarians from Boston as a rural boarding
school. It is now operated by the Universalist Convention of North
Carolina Inc as a retreat and conference center. It is on the historic
register (in fact, if you look in any of the street atlases, you will
find it). In the picture you can see the schoolhouse, chapel, and the
roof of a gazebo. The boat in the picture is "driving" up the road...
The water around the buildings is about 6' deep.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com