 General / 790
Re: Fabuland / Richard Scarry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 00:33:59 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In the latest batch of images from Selçuk, there were quite a few new
Fabuland images...  I couldn't help feeling sadly nostalgic as each of these
found its way into the DB last night.  It's too bad Fabuland was cancelled,
although it did run for nearly 10 years, and there are at least 91 known
sets:

   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?theme=Fabuland

On the Pause Database there are indeed 90 sets, only some of them are
double ones:
121 = 328
128 = 338
134 = 344
137 = 347
324 = 3605
3625 = 3630
3639 = 3643
Sets that are missing in the Pause database:
3601 Elton Elephant
3602 Bianca Lamb and Stroller
3603 Boris Bulldog and Mailbox
3604 Marc Monkey and Wheelbarrow
3717 Mouse fishing at Dock
3663 Merry-Go-round

Links to pictures of these sets are on my page (I already mailed Pause
if they wanted these pictures, but still haven't had any answer)

Short of LEGO bringing back Fabuland (we can only hope), do you think they
might someday license Richard Scarry's characters?  There are so many
similarities -- all the different animals, all basically the same size
(human-scale), and they all have jobs and do stuff in the town.

What I always liked about the Fabuland figs was the huge variety of colors
and animals represented.  I don't think there's been any line since then
which has equalled it in that regard.

There were indeed many colors in the Fabuland range. For example, there
were big red/green roof parts already in about 1985, while there were no
green roof pieces in normal Lego sets available. Also in the earliest
sets (1979) some animals had orange or orange/red heads.

--Todd

p.s.  Say, were there ever any (official or unofficial) sub-categories
within the Fabuland category?

I don't know if there were official sub-categories. They first sets
released in 1979 had complete houses and garages, and can be regarded in
that way as an unofficial sub-category.
What I think was another sub-category were some of the latest sets,
about four of five big sets were released in the "fun park category": 2
Merry-go-roud sets and 2 fun park sets.

Sybrand Bonsma
Unofficial Fabuland Homepage:
http://members.tripod.com/~Sybrand_Bonsma/fabu1eng.html