 General / 7727
  Inventories

Does anyone know if there's anywhere on the web where set inventories are stored? I'm starting to think about the possibility of inventorying some of my sets as I build them and putting the info probably in an Access Database. (It's only a vague (...) (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

Yes, this has been done - you can check the "Inventories" link on the LUGNET home page. I'm working on the 5581 inventory in my spare time. Paul Sinasohn (...) (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

OK - thanks Paul (and Todd)! (...) (25 years ago, 16-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

(...) Note that not every set has an inventory. Still lots to do there. There is a group to discuss inventories (lugnet.db.inv ??) I am not sure what the internal format is, but it seems if you did yourself a little project that spat out text files (...) (25 years ago, 16-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

(...) If I might add, another would be discretion regarding train scale... <runs, and keeps running> John ;^D (...) (25 years ago, 16-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

(...) onto the web to check the availability of a piece. Also, I program Access at work and have gotten somewhat respectable at it. If I could get some help in the data entry, I would love to try to write a front end that would be user friendly and (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

(...) How about using something the rest of the world can use? perl and the dbi interface is fairly portable, works in NT, Mac, Unix, etc. Nothing can stop you using Access, but Access isn't something your non-NT hobbiest will have. I prefer using (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

(...) Problem is that I have no time to go through the learning curve for perl to set it up in that. I know Access. (...) Since Access is part of MS-Office, it will run on both the WinTel and Mac systems. It is not just for NT. Besides, if people (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

(...) You must love Oklahoma. You like to run and run and run... James (URL) of >obscure< references ;-) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Inventories

(...) Is MacOffice still a viable thing? Especially MacAccess -- since the Access file format changes with each release, and there is no cross-version compatibility (only backwards compatibility--newer releases. of Access can read (and sometimes (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

(...) Supposedly Office 2000 fixes or addresses this issue. It allows you to save a file in older versions. The problem you run into is that whenever a new feature is added into a program, it requires that the file format be modified to accept the (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

(...) I'd love something like this. I'd help in any way I could with data entry. (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Inventories

[ XFUT lugnet.off-topic.geek ] [ Warning: Contains strong acronyms. ] Mike Poindexter: [...] (...) Yes. But it can be done in various ways. Some of them (PNG and HTML for example) are designed so you still can read the files with an old program, (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  (canceled)

  Re: Inventories

(...) Well, there are several reasons I am not going to do that. First off is that I know how to program Access. Those who know how to program other systems have not put forth the time to make one in their programming language of choice, so I will (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: Inventories

(...) Well, it's not trying to yet...that part is still a ways out. (...) Right. That interface was a quick prototype and an experiment to get the feel of cross-referencing hops between different object types. It was never meant as anything but a (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.admin.database)