 General / 6917
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 01:09:42 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

OK folks,

Here's some updates to creating the "LETTER" about bulk sales.

(snipped for brevity)

Sorry to come in late on the discussion, everybody, but I have a citation that I
think might be helpful if we *are* going to set up a mail campaign.

Bear, John
Send This Jerk the Bedbug Letter : How Companies, Politicians, and the
                     Mass Media Deal With Complaints and How to Be a More Effective

                     Complainer
Ten Speed Press, 1996
ISBN  0898158117

This book (available at your local library, or Amazon.com if you're truly devoted)
is the best discussion of the complaint letter and how best to utilize it that I
have ever seen.  There is an entire discussion about the impact of quality vs.
quantity, original vs. photocopied, and a couple of other variables that makes it a
worthwhile read if we're going to make any sort of impact with TLG.  Based on my
memory (I read it back in '96), many well written, personal letters can have the
strongest impact of all.  So, for those who have memories of being children wanting
bulk items, let TLG know that.  Take the time to write, edit, and have someone else
edit.  The better our letters appear (NO TYPOS!!! and yes, I am yelling that one!)
the more likely the recipient is to take us seriously.  Another small suggestion:
by all means, send the main letter to KKK, but also CC a copy to the head here in
the US.  The more people who see the letter directly, the less able they are to
circular file it.

So, if you want to make a difference, by all means add your name to Gary's
excellent letter -- I'm going to, if allowed -- but send one of your own.  That
will allow for the greatest impact.

Beth Reiten

PS If TLG needs help with its inventory system, they just need to check with any of
the mail-order bead and jewelry supply businesses (my other vice).  Their systems
are usually top-notch, and they're often dealing with items 2mm in size.  Just my
$.02 worth.