 General / 6880
Re: LEGO Books from DK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 06:27:32 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
_The Ultimate LEGO Book_ ISBN:0-7894-4691-X
This one looks amazing!  Except for the Rock Raiders shown front-and-center
on the cover.  But the rest of it looks great.  I'm sure it will make a
wonderful companion to _The World of LEGO Toys_.

I picked this one up at Legoland Windsor (1).  It's by DK, the same folks
who gave us the "Incredible Cross-Sections" Star Wars books, among other
things.  It's not quite up to par with other DK books I've seen, but it is a
good buy in and of itself.  A large chunk of the book is dedicated to the
creation of Legoland California, and was pretty fun reading, if not a plug
for said Legoland.  Also, the Rock Raiders bit of the book was most
enjoyable for me -- it briefly describes some of the decision-making
processes of TLG.  Near the back of the book, there are a few pages given
over to a tutorial of sorts, for the figures used in the Legoland models.
BTW Suz, there's a LEGO snail in there I think you'd appreciate.

All in all, a must-have for any LEGO book collection, but not necessary if
you just collect the bricks.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Jeremy's Mini Legoland Windsor Review:  Go with a camera w/zoom-lens for
the models, or go with little kids, or don't go at all.  The price was
pretty steep for what basically amounted to a shrubbery garden with minor
diversions.  The gift shop was a severe let-down; the only things there I
couldn't buy at home were ZNAP, Scala, and wide-ruled paper notebook with a
LEGO image on the cover.  Having said all that, the models in the center of
the park are excellent, and not without quite a bit of humor (though, being
British, it's fairly dry and obscure.)  I will definitely go again,
certainly with a zoom-lens, and probably with little kids.

--
Jeremy H. Sproat <jsproat@io.com>
http://www.io.com/~jsproat