 General / 6790
Re: L.A. Times article on Legoland 'masters'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:04:14 GMT

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in article
<37BABC45.D033E4A@umich.edu>...

From what I remember reading, of the 35 model builders in Enfield, all • but 9 got
dismissed with this years downsizing.  Can you imagine being a model • builder for 20
years, and suddenly have to go out and get a real job?  What else are you • qualified
to do?

Too bad TLG doesn't freelance.  I'd almost do it for free (if they • provided me with
the bricks to build models with).  But I couldn't bring myself to glue • them
together.

Be careful what you wish for Gary.  Sometimes working in a business where
you love the end product can leave you in a position where you don't love
the end product as much.  I was always a music lover.  Then I spent more
than 8 years in the music retail business.  There are still some great CD's
that I can't listen to anymore because they were played over and again in
the store.  I've heard some of them probably 200-300 times.

I often wished that I had just stayed an outsider to the music business and
retained my love of music.  Having gotten away from it for over a year now,
I'm slowly rediscovering some of the joy of listening to music that was
lost for so long.  But of course now I work with computers.... and I used
to really like them.   I'll never win.   :)

Enjoy LEGO from the perspective of a die-hard fan. It's truly worth
enjoying. That's my advice to the world at this late hour.

Warm regards everyone,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm