 General / 6489
  Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?

(...) What parts exactly does it contain? And what is unique about them? From J. Lauher's 396 scan it looks like the std. red "counterweight"/hub mount, the yellow stick, and the black piece that the "piston" runs in - or are these larger than (...) (25 years ago, 12-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?

(...) Yes, those 2 (each) red, yellow and black pieces are the ones I'm talking about. No they aren't labelled as unique in any catalog. I was only trying to make a point that if you decided (like I did) to make a Thatcher Perkins from scratch (...) (25 years ago, 12-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?

(...) But how *are* these different from the ones used in several period train sets? -gbr (25 years ago, 12-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?

I agree with Gary on the 1119 - it is probably the most valuable parts pack out there, just because of the rare parts it contains. However, I doubt it is the rarest - I think some of the old 60s parts packs must be rarer, and its likely that one of (...) (25 years ago, 12-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?

(...) I am no Lego train expert, but I think that they are different in that the Thatcher Perkins Locomotive is much much larger than any of the Lego Train locomotives. The Thatcher Perkins was a "model" kit, and not a part of the Lego Train (...) (25 years ago, 12-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?

Actually, Gary, I think that they may well be the same as those used in the Lego train Line during the same era. These two pictures seem to confirm that at least the yellow and black parts are the same; I suspect the red one is also: (URL) even (...) (25 years ago, 12-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?

The 396 Thatcher Perkins engine is classed as a "carpet" train as it has a guage which is unsuitable for the standard lego train guage. It was designed to go anywhere the child wanted to push it. Mark H. (...) (25 years ago, 13-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What are the most valuable Service Packs?

(...) guage (...) I _do_ have a firm grasp of the obvious :) (though the 396's gauge is narrower than you'd expect from looking at the pictures) - I was asking about the (apparently not) unique rod/piston parts. BTW, where's the panic about the (...) (25 years ago, 13-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)