 General / 6459
Re: Posting Twice!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:01:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, "Fraser" <fraser@<nospam>lovatt.com> writes:
<snip>

I'm using IE5, and I'm only clicking once.  I get a 500 error (internal
server) when I submit ... but it doesn't happen when I reply to messages, only
when I start a new thread.

I'm just worried that people will think I'm some idiot who can't post properly.
I'm not!!! Honest!!! Give me a chance people!!!

I'll try using a newsreader instead, but IE5 was so convenient.

Fraser,

I'm not sure yet exactly what's going on, but I'm sure it will certainly turn
out to be Yet Another Horrible Bug in MS Look Out! -- because Microsoft
products, as a general rule, suck and are evil.  It's said that the day
Microsoft starts making products that -don't- suck is probably the day they
start making vacuum cleaners.

Anyway, here are the relevant portions of the HTTP logs from earlier today
showing your activity:

DATE                         REQUEST                                RESPONSE  XFER-BYTES        REFERRER

[11/Aug/1999:06:30:21 -0400] "GET /news/post/?lugnet.general HTTP/1.0" 200 2755 "http://www.lugnet.com/general/"
[11/Aug/1999:06:31:56 -0400] "POST /news/post/submit.cgi HTTP/1.0" 500 393 "http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.general"
[11/Aug/1999:06:31:59 -0400] "POST /news/post/submit.cgi HTTP/1.0" 500 393 "http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.general"

[11/Aug/1999:07:55:59 -0400] "GET /news/post/?lugnet.general:6440 HTTP/1.0" 200 4802 "http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=6440"
[11/Aug/1999:08:12:01 -0400] "POST /news/post/submit.cgi HTTP/1.0" 500 393 "http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.general:6440"
[11/Aug/1999:08:12:04 -0400] "POST /news/post/submit.cgi HTTP/1.0" 500 393 "http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.general:6440"

[11/Aug/1999:08:43:10 -0400] "GET /news/post/?lugnet.general HTTP/1.0" 200 2755 "http://www.lugnet.com/general/"
[11/Aug/1999:08:43:54 -0400] "POST /news/post/submit.cgi HTTP/1.0" 500 393 "http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.general"
[11/Aug/1999:08:43:57 -0400] "POST /news/post/submit.cgi HTTP/1.0" 500 393 "http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.general"

[11/Aug/1999:09:13:50 -0400] "GET /news/post/?lugnet.general:6446 HTTP/1.0" 200 3863 "http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=6446"
[11/Aug/1999:09:17:34 -0400] "POST /news/post/submit.cgi HTTP/1.0" 500 393 "http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.general:6446"
[11/Aug/1999:09:17:37 -0400] "POST /news/post/submit.cgi HTTP/1.0" 500 393 "http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?lugnet.general:6446"

The level-500 errors are extremely curious:  In all cases of the POST method,
you got back a 500 (always an error, never success), yet the article was
actually posted (but twice!).  Apparently, MSOE is sending some kind of
garbage to the server, but not something so garbagey as to cause your
messages to be rejected altogether.  Why MSOE invokes the submit.cgi
script *twice* each time you press the Submit button is beyond me.  It
shouldn't be doing that upon a 500 failure.

Could you do me a favor?  Could you go to the .off-topic.test group,

   http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/test/

and post a little foofoo message, and when you get the 500-error, could you
save that HTML page (showing the error) to a file and e-mail it to me?  That
might help me figure out how the 500 error is occurring (it really shouldn't
probably occur even with bad input).

I just enabled some additional hearty logging on the submit.cgi script, so
with any luck, I'll be able to re-play your inputs until I can figure out
what's causing the 500-error.  (I don't have MSOE 5.0, so I can't reproduce
the error directly.)

Thanks,
--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.general]