 General / 6402
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:45:32 GMT

Scott "Been wanting bulk orders since I was 4" Sanburn

...which is something that's overlooked by both LG and
people arguing that "kids are their primary market", hence
all those special parts wants that are assumed to be a rare
adult idea aren't significant to LG, etc...
I can't speak for others, but I didn't just start wanting
to buy certain parts separately rather than in small numbers
in large sets after crossing some age limit. If LG says
"we cater only to children", then I'd question whether they've
ever asked them about parts-on-demand?
Wanting tiles and white and black plates in quantity
is just about the earliest memory I have, so it goes
back to about age 4 or 5, too.
While there is no way for the average small child to express
this desire to the local LG front character (for a long
time, "Paul Prima" in Germany :), the desire/want/need is
actually far larger, as the occasional splurging on a large
set for just a few parts is even less likely than for an
adult. (e.g. 2x Red Fury to get another set of 8880 wheels -
and Red Fury is at least as silly and overpriced as a set
as it appears from the catalog, I see now.)

(I've always looked at sets for parts rather than for the model -
I remember sitting in a toy store in the early 80s taking parts
inventory of a technic universal set right after buying it to
see what else I needed to buy to build a certain vehicle - which
may not be everyone's experience, but I believe wanting more
of just certain rare parts is fairly common.)

I don't know if this important detail can be mentioned in this
letter (because children are also quite unlikely to be able
to participate if it requires being part of a group purchase
rather than dealing directly with LG), but it certainly is
one to remember when arguing what small % of the market
adults make...where you happier with the offerings as a child
than now?

-gbr