 General / 6427
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 23:18:59 GMT

"G. Benedikt Rochow" wrote:

Scott "Been wanting bulk orders since I was 4" Sanburn

...which is something that's overlooked by both LG and
people arguing that "kids are their primary market", hence
all those special parts wants that are assumed to be a rare
adult idea aren't significant to LG, etc...
I can't speak for others, but I didn't just start wanting
to buy certain parts separately rather than in small numbers
in large sets after crossing some age limit. If LG says
"we cater only to children", then I'd question whether they've
ever asked them about parts-on-demand?
Wanting tiles and white and black plates in quantity
is just about the earliest memory I have, so it goes
back to about age 4 or 5, too.

In the 70s, when I was a kid, I DID buy a few parts packs.  If they would
have had a bulk service *THAT I KNEW ABOUT*, I would have bought more
parts.  From everything I can remember, all I had available were a few
flyers from some sets listing a few parts packs here and there.

I don't know if this important detail can be mentioned in this
letter (because children are also quite unlikely to be able
to participate if it requires being part of a group purchase
rather than dealing directly with LG), but it certainly is
one to remember when arguing what small % of the market
adults make...where you happier with the offerings as a child
than now?

Come now - these days, the KIDS find all the stuff to buy on the web, then
let their parents know about it ("Can we buy that? NO Can we buy that? NO
<repeat 50 times> Can we buy that?  Yes, if you'll be QUIET!").