 General / 6120
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 20:07:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Sanjay D'Souza writes:
John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
It's understandable because others, such as the GMLTC have *been*
down that road and many other roads you don't even know about, only
for us they were dead ends.

I agree totally.  I got lucky and made the most of it.  It just suprises me
why TLG doesn't support organisations such as PNLTC or GMLTC.  No doubt
members of these groups have made approaches to TLG but why they continue to
ignore the adult market may well remain a mystery for some time yet.
[...]

I don't understand why people are so confused about this.

First of all, the (legitimate) bulk ordering market already exists, but it's
small and limited to the most commonly needed pieces (simple bricks). You can
get 2x4 bricks for about (US) 3 cents a piece in quantities of 5000 from
Ritvik/Megabloks. A man built a huge suspension bridge for a tradeshow display
combining Ritvik and TLG parts in the same model:

  http://www.nd.edu/~lego/grp2/www/legobrdg.htm

If enough people cared about bulk ordering, Ritvik would make more than just
bricks available this way but they don't.

Also, of course, TLG would notice and do something about it. The fact that they
don't proves that there isn't much of a market.

I'm also sending this to the trains group because I'm wondering why they don't
use any Ritvik parts in their layouts. A three-foot-high green and gray
mountain looks the same no matter whose logo is micro-molded onto the studs.

- Robert Munafo
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13