 General / 6124
Re: No Ritvik for me thanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 20:44:33 GMT

Why we don't use non-LEGO product?

One of the reasons is that it's lousy product.  It does not wear as well or
hold up to the same rigors that the LEGO product does.  I've watched models
made of knock off brands fall apart in direct sunlight because the
manufacturing tolerances are not strict enough to deal with some of the
different temperature grades.

Another reason is the ability to say that it is all Lego bricks that you can
buy on the street.  (If you're willing to collect heavy for twenty years.)  To
use stickers to change colors, or non-lego parts to wire, or Ritvik to build
landscape takes away from some of the majesty of the layout.  Frankly, it's
more impressive to say that it's 99.5% Lego that you can buy at Target,
Walmart, and K-mart.

We're train purists in a really really really wierd way.

-john

In lugnet.general, Robert Munafo writes:
In lugnet.general, Sanjay D'Souza writes:
John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
It's understandable because others, such as the GMLTC have *been*
down that road and many other roads you don't even know about, only
for us they were dead ends.

I agree totally.  I got lucky and made the most of it.  It just suprises me
why TLG doesn't support organisations such as PNLTC or GMLTC.  No doubt
members of these groups have made approaches to TLG but why they continue to
ignore the adult market may well remain a mystery for some time yet.
[...]

I don't understand why people are so confused about this.

First of all, the (legitimate) bulk ordering market already exists, but it's
small and limited to the most commonly needed pieces (simple bricks). You can
get 2x4 bricks for about (US) 3 cents a piece in quantities of 5000 from
Ritvik/Megabloks. A man built a huge suspension bridge for a tradeshow display
combining Ritvik and TLG parts in the same model:

http://www.nd.edu/~lego/grp2/www/legobrdg.htm

If enough people cared about bulk ordering, Ritvik would make more than just
bricks available this way but they don't.

Also, of course, TLG would notice and do something about it. The fact that • they
don't proves that there isn't much of a market.

I'm also sending this to the trains group because I'm wondering why they don't
use any Ritvik parts in their layouts. A three-foot-high green and gray
mountain looks the same no matter whose logo is micro-molded onto the studs.

- Robert Munafo
LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13