 General / 56010
Re: 10232 Palace Cinema - Modular Building.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:32:16 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:
Well many of you have already seen the latest of the Modular LEGO
buildings... the 10232 Palace Cinema Set.

Facebook has a nice overview from one of the 2 designers...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=680484152731&set=vb.207089142656976&type=3&theater

This building design is based on American movie palaces of the
1920s... namely the design of famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre (today
known as Mann's Chinese Theatre)... in Hollywood.  It even has the
stars of Hollywood sidewalk (first started when legendary American
actress Mary Pickford accidentally stepped in some cement in front of
the theatre back in the late 1920s).

The interesting thing is that it has a partly European name.  In
USA/Canada we call them "movie theatres"... but in Europe they call
them "cinemas".

Ironically the earliest known image of a LEGO cinema/theatre is from
a British magazine 1963 LEGO Ad.  It shows... what else... an earlier
version of the "PALACE CINEMA"!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/8424024767/sizes/l/in/photostream/

... as seen in my 73 chapter 2,800 page DVD/download LEGO collectors
guide... in the chapter on LEGO Advertisements.

Enjoy!
Gary Istok

Gary, do you have any more information on that old Palace Cinema - I
couldn't find it in my copy of your guide - did I miss an update, or are you
talking about what will be?

Is it a unique build for the ad, or was it something retailers could order?
Any information would be welcome, as your picture started an interest on the
Swedish Lego forum www.swebrick.se  where it was suggested we start a
competition for rebuilding the old model in the new scale and style.

1963 is also exactly 50 years ago...

--
Anders Isaksson