 General / 56009
56008  |  56010
Subject:
10232 Palace Cinema - Modular Building.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:47:37 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Well many of you have already seen the latest of the Modular LEGO buildings...
the 10232 Palace Cinema Set.

Facebook has a nice overview from one of the 2 designers...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=680484152731&set=vb.207089142656976&type=3&theater

This building design is based on American movie palaces of the 1920s... namely
the design of famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre (today known as Mann's Chinese
Theatre)... in Hollywood.  It even has the stars of Hollywood sidewalk (first
started when legendary American actress Mary Pickford accidentally stepped in
some cement in front of the theatre back in the late 1920s).

The interesting thing is that it has a partly European name.  In USA/Canada we
call them "movie theatres"... but in Europe they call them "cinemas".

Ironically the earliest known image of a LEGO cinema/theatre is from a British
magazine 1963 LEGO Ad.  It shows... what else... an earlier version of the
"PALACE CINEMA"!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/8424024767/sizes/l/in/photostream/

... as seen in my 73 chapter 2,800 page DVD/download LEGO collectors guide... in
the chapter on LEGO Advertisements.

Enjoy!
Gary Istok