 General / 55556
  Re: Forum shift

(...) I've never used the NNTP. When I click on it, I see the same messages that I see on LUGNET through a browser (including ones I've posted [through a browser interface]). Is there any kind of advantage to using the NNTP instead of the web (...) (14 years ago, 31-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) I would have expected your browser to launch a general purpose NNTP client such as Gnus, Pan, Thunderbird or Outlook. (...) If the only newsgroups you read are those on Lugnet, then the only benefit to using a general purpose NNTP client would (...) (14 years ago, 31-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) I used to use NNTP for Lugnet, and for several other groups as well, but I gave up using it for Lugnet long ago (soon after the auth emails were implemented I believe) and over the last couple of years, all the groups I used it for have moved (...) (14 years ago, 1-Nov-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) (Keep in mind that I'm a very old fogey who has been using NNTP stuff for decades.) The advantage to me is that I don't have to use a web browser to do it. :-) I run my browser with Javascript turned off virtually all the time. So, I tend to (...) (14 years ago, 2-Nov-10, to lugnet.general)