 General / 5519
Re: appeals mainly to adults
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:47:16 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
[...]  Although LUGNET does not aim to be a place for AFOL's only (as far
as I know), it appears that mostly adults use the resources.  [...]

At this stage in its development, it kind of does aim for that a little bit.
That is, it's been a conscious decision to make the site much more appealing
and useful to adult LEGO Maniacs than to kids or parents of LEGO-Maniac kids,
while things are still shaping.  Similarly, in the first month or two that
the newsgroups went up, it was a conscious decision to make the site most
appealing to serious fans and only later (1 month ago) to casual fans, now
that things are slowly taking shape.

This is exactly why I like it here so much.  For so many years I did not build
with Lego because "society" said it was a toy and a 30 year old should not
build with Lego (Society and Peer presure suck some times).  Then one day I was
helping my nephiew build a Lego set and I saw a catalog with Darth Vader on it.
Because I am also a big SW fan I decided to search the internet for SW Lego
info.

As part of that search I found this wonderful site and saw that there was a
community of "Adult Fans of Lego" and soon after I was building again and I had
finally found that elusive hobby I had been searching for.

Now I see that there are Lego Trains (N Scale model railroading is another of
my hobbies) and will be checking out some Lego Trains when I get a chance.

All this being said I was on a couple of occasions under the impression I was
communicating with an Adult when it was actually a Young Lego Fan.  Now I am
much more careful in my communications to assume that a Lugnet user is a Minor
until I can determine otherwise.

This is just my story and I guess I just wanted to thank Todd and all the other
Lego fans that have contributed to this site and other internet Lego resources
for making it apparent to those like me that this can be a great adult hobby.
I think that as a result of Todd's and others efforts more and more adults will
see that it is OK to take out their Lego and build again.

Eric Kingsley

One very appreciative Lego fan.

Well said Eric!  I agree, Todd deserves a lot of credit.

I also liked your point about how society looks upon a 30 year old playing with
toys.  Boy did that bring back memories.  I left my dark ages in 1979 (at age 26)
and was thrown into the spotlight (LEGO wise) in 1986-87.

There was no internet at that time, and no other AFOL's to communcate with.  Being
an AFOL back in the 1980's was a pretty lonely experience.  And it was sort of
scary and traumatic when I was approach by a metro Detroit newspaper about doing an
article about an adult building with LEGO (they found out from a Toy Store owner
for whom I did a LEGO window display).  This was immediately followed by a visit
from a TLG representative, and then a CBC Canada TV crew (for "25 Years Of LEGO in
Canada") on a Canadian news show called "The Journal".  And then I got a call from
Henry Wiencik - the author of "The World of Lego Toys", who wrote about me in his
book, and the rest is history...

When all this hit me within a few months, I was worried about what my co-workers
and friends and acquaintances would think about a grown man playing with Lego
bricks.  Well the response was overwhelmingly positive, especially after they saw a
few of my buildings, which I had kept hidden at a friends apartment.  When I came
out of the "Lego Closet" in late 1986, my secret was out, and people were very
supportive.  I even got a call from my 6th grade teacher, who said that she was
proud of me after seeing me on TV.  From that moment on, I no longer cared about
folks knowing, and "my little secret" was was broadcast on TV in Canada, the USA,
Germany and Austria.

And I haven't looked back since.

Last summer I got onto the internet for the first time.  I found RTL and LUGNET,
which opened me up to a whole new world of people just like me.  I have made a lot
of friends and acquaintances, most of whom I've never even met, and yet there is
this overriding kinship, by way of "the power of the Brick".

Gary Istok