 Administrative / General / 2203
2202  |  2204
Subject:
appeals mainly to adults
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:37:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
[...]  Although LUGNET does not aim to be a place for AFOL's only (as far
as I know), it appears that mostly adults use the resources.  [...]

At this stage in its development, it kind of does aim for that a little bit.
That is, it's been a conscious decision to make the site much more appealing
and useful to adult LEGO Maniacs than to kids or parents of LEGO-Maniac kids,
while things are still shaping.  Similarly, in the first month or two that
the newsgroups went up, it was a conscious decision to make the site most
appealing to serious fans and only later (1 month ago) to casual fans, now
that things are slowly taking shape.

Although anyone and everyone has always been welcomed, studies of dynamical
systems in nature and mathematics show that the initial conditions of a
system have a profound impact on the ongoing long-term development of the
system.  So establishing things from the very start with a more serious and
mature approach helps set that tone, and I think this has worked very well.

At some point, maybe a year down the road, it'll be safe to switch gears a
bit and start creating special areas that do appeal to kids and/or teachers.
The closer that these areas are to the newsgroups, the more need or use there
may be for volunteer mentorships (see second half of):

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=814

And here is the whole story of how one 13-year-old ended up finding this
place a bit too hostile for his tastes -- and about how not knowing someone's
approximate age can dramaticaly affect perceptions of their actions):

   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=2670&t=i&v=a

--Todd