 General / 54742
Re: Press release for LEGO Collectors Guide
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 04:35:59 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Paul Sinasohn wrote:

I wonder if this is a response to the Istok CD? I ordered one so I can compare.

It’s possible. There was certainly enough time to develop it between Gary’s initial announcements and the actual release of the CD.

Either way, I look forward to a detailed comparison of the two, if you would so kindly oblige?

Allister

No one is more curious than I as to what the 800 page book will contain! :-D

From the bits and pieces I’ve gotten off of Bricklink here’s sort of what type of information will be included on each set...

1) A photograph of the box. 2) The years the sets were produced (start-end dates) 3) A 1-6 brick rating on rarity (not sure if 1 brick or 6 brick is the rarest). 4) Where the sets were sold.

There should be about 10 sets discussed per page.

There will not be much text, from what I gather.

Also, the book will cover the years 1958 (when the tube bottom brick came out) to 2008.

Now how will this be different from my Version 2 CD (which was delayed by the company pressing them... but I compensated by adding 3 extra chapters).

My version 2 CD will have 1,400 pages with 1,800 pictures covering LEGO sets from 1949-1980s, and over 249,000 words (whereas the book doesn’t have a lot of words).

My CD also covers all known packing variations on sets, different box designs, the major parts contents, rare parts, as well as where and when they were sold.

About 1/3 of my CD covers LEGO elements, such as all the old and rare elements, variations, country specific elements, color variations they came in, part design changes, printed bricks, etc.

I also cover historical things, such as when LEGO sales started in each country, historic photos, examples of old catalogs going back to 1950, prototype parts and sets never put into production (but got out of the factory), rare promotional items, etc.

I also include a price list with 10,159 prices for VG, EX, MIB, and MISB. The version 2 CD will be available in either Euro or Dollar prices.

The CD also talks about LEGO Toy Fairs, Public Displays, Model Building Shops, and many other items.

Although I was not personally involved with the LEGO Collectors Book, several owners of my Version 1 CD were involved, and my name is given as credit in the book because they felt my input was indirectly involved.

I am eager to obtain a copy of the book to compare it with the results of my CD.

The Billund LEGO archives are rather sketchy prior to 1970, and there was a lot of information that I obtained for my CD from TLG that I questioned, because I had contradictory evidence, and therefore went with other dates than what was supplied to me.

If I do find inaccuracies, I plan on just relaying the information privately to TLG (via the Ambassadors or representatives), and discussing why I feel the info is wrong.

Supposedly a Version 2 Official LEGO Collectors Book will be out possibly in the future.

So the main difference between the official book and my CD is the years of coverage, and the fact that my CD goes beyond the scope of just LEGO sets.

Gary Istok