 General / 54714
Re: a word in Lego instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:47:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Patterson wrote:
10179, the word "Click" in a balloon.  Actually my granddaughter found it.
I wanted to see if anyone else cared - as it excited me no end. I really
thought that words were against Lego policy.  It is in English, I wonder if
it was in other languages too.  Page 215.

This is actually pretty common. Or, the word "Click" is, anyway. I've seen it
used here and there in sets, at least since 2000, maybe longer. A quick glance
online (actually, it was in the 2nd set I looked at) revealed a "CLICK" in the
8002 instruction manual, page 17.

FWIW, the 1st set I looked at was 7140, which I thought might have had "CLICK"
thanks to the click-hinges that had just been introduced that year, but nope.
But I had an ulterior motive for looking up that set, as it has other words in
the manual other than "CLICK". For one, it's got the names of the Star Wars
characters featured in the set (although this doesn't relate to the set
assembly), and also some words in the back (like "CRASH") within the dialog-less
comic that's shown after the instructions. But again, I don't think I'd count
those as bona fide words in the instruction manual, unless we want to go
counting things like the copyright notice and set name and such, which appear on
many sets.

Otherwise, I think the words they choose to use are probably generally accepted
in many languages. It would be interesting to see instruction manuals from
places that don't use the Roman character set to see if they use something
different...

DaveE