 General / 5466
Re: The Ultimate --Lego-- Warship?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:59:05 GMT

Paul Baulch wrote:

Is no one interested in seeing my work?  Or was it the missing "Lego" in
the subject line.

I, too, saw this ship when you first pointed it out on RTL. Certainly an
amazing feat of construction! Nothing better than a bloody huge spaceship, I
always say. Or at least I did, until I tried to hold up my newly-constructed
"Shiva-1B Heavy Cruiser" with one arm (y'know, to see how it looked in
flight), and found I couldn't hold it up with one arm.....
*crashhhhhhhhtinkletinkle*  Hmm. No photos, either :(

Bummer.  I made sure to design structural integrity before moving to
cool looking detail.

Anyway, two questions. 1) Do you really have that much black Lego, or did
you colour some of the ship's exterior yourself? and

Yes it is all genuine black lego.  I used it all on the outside
(excluding the trans. pieces for weapons and tractor beams.)  The inside
of the bridge is all white and the inside of the docking bay is gray and
red.  If minifigs were real they would see all uniform color in their
surroundings.  In other parts, such as where the reactors and torpedo
storage should be, I used mostly yellow for support structure. So it is
tecnically an all black outer hull ship.

2) do you, like me,
lament the fact that there are not enough slopey/rampy bits in the Lego
universe so that all our slanted spaceship hulls have a distinct studded
steppiness to them? This second question in particular, vexes me day and
night. Where are all of our slopey bits?!?!?

When I first started I thought this would be a major problem.
Actually the spots where I did use slope pieces (in the middle of the
front upward slope) don't look as nice.  The plate and brick "step
sculpting" I think looks much better than the slopes.  Consequetly I
still have most of my black slopes for use in the colony I am going to
build. (going to be a space/town hybrid with a castle wall and BURP
cliff in the backround)  I need something for my cruiser to do.

Paul
"LEG GODT!"

--
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men"

Visit me at:  http://members.tripod.com/~LordInsanity