 General / 54510
Re: Help identifying a set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 05:30:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Nathan Todd wrote:
   Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this set? I can’t find it in the Lugnet database and I really don’t know anything about older sets. Could someone even identify the era for me? Suggestions on the appropriate newsgroup are also welcome ; )

box front...

Thanks and God Bless,

Nathan

On the catalog in Brickset, there is an entry for the set listing it as “Pre-School Set” and the year 1976. I was guessing it was earlier, such as 73-74, based on the box art (relatively modern LEGO logo next to the old 5-color flag). Brickset has no further information and no picture. So, it looks like you may have a pretty rare set on your hands, and it seems to be in very good condition.

By the way, does anyone know if the old 5-color flag of LEGO (the one with the vertical stripes) has a proper name (or nickname)? Just wondering.

-Jordan

This is not the pre-school set 078. Pre-school is the forerunner of Duplo and appears in 1975 in the USA. To see it, locate a scan of the 1975 USA consumer catalog, the one with a red cover and maxifig in a box.

The box art of the airplane and house in Nathan’s set is used on 115 in the US line. That set has 184 pieces so can’t be the same as Nathan’s 078 which says 330 pieces. Interestingly, the Lugnet scan says 4 years and up; my 1975 catalog photo and actual boxes from that year say “not recommended for children under 3.”