 General / 53666
Re: Eric Brok has passed away!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:33:23 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.announce, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
I just found out on the Bricklink Forum that AFOL Eric Brok of the Netherlands,
the designer of the new 10190 LEGO set has passed away!!

This is just awful news!

Our hearts and our prayers go out to Eric's family.

His website:
http://www.ericbrok.com/

Gary Istok

Eric's funeral took place on Friday. A number of people from the LEGO community
was also present for the last honor to Eric.

Eric told me of his illness last September. He knew since the beginning of 2006
that the had cancer and that it would be terminal. During the last half year he
send regularly newsletters to his family, colleagues and friends. It was always
nice to read these newsletters and the positive but realistic view of both Eric
and his wife, despite the fact that his illness progressed rapidly. His death
didn't came as a total surprise to me, but it was still a large shock.

During his funeral words were spoken by his family, colleagues and LEGO-friends.
The stories showed the picture of Eric as we know him: calm, modest,
perfectionistic and skilful, enthousiastic and involved.

Of course his love of LEGO was also mentioned in the different stories. From the
beginning of his hobby in 1990 to the set designed by him: the Market street and
all in between. His website which was and is a source of inspiration; his
freelance work for LEGO in the past; his efforts for organizing LEGO World and
the creations he showed during the events; the projects he did for the Dutch
community De Bouwsteen; his efforts for LEGO fans worldwide as a LEGO
amabassador and much more.

I am glad to be able to attend his funeral, despite the two-sided feelings. On
the one side the sadness not to be able to meet Eric once again, on the other
side the joy for everything he has done. Eric has left us with many nice things
and thoughts and I will sure miss him.

Sybrand Bonsma