 General / 53621
53620  |  53622
Subject:
Spam using harvested addresses from lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 14:31:03 GMT

Hi all.

There seems to be a bot that is using email addresses harvested from
lugnet news.

I have attached the headers here (after removing 66 other lego related
recipients).

From: "Catherine Lyons-Crew" <cate@laurencecrew.com>
To: <dean@earlsoft.co.uk>, 66 other addresses
Subject: FWD: Taste these security update from Microsoft.
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 22:54:23 +1000

Dean Earley, Dee (dean@earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk
phone:  +44 (0)780 8369596

Message has 3 Replies:
  Re: Spam using harvested addresses from lugnet

(...) Hi Dean, Maybe I'm missing something in the heading information here but if you have an MOCpages account using the same address it is a more likely source (MOCpages actually uses full email addresses in links...). Is that a possibility? Tim (17 years ago, 29-May-07, to lugnet.general)
  Re: Spam using harvested addresses from lugnet

(...) I just noticed that you sign your posts with your name and e-mail address. My guess is that the e-mail is being harvested from there. Lugnet wouldn't be able to do anything about that, as the bot is probably reading the rendered HTML. It might (...) (17 years ago, 29-May-07, to lugnet.general)
  Re: Spam using harvested addresses from lugnet

One of the problems I think Lugnet has with spam is that, even if it automatically adds spamcakes to obfuscate lightly the email addresses of people, these addresses are plainly visible when one clicks the "view raw message" option (which renders (...) (17 years ago, 29-May-07, to lugnet.general)