 General / 53625
Re: Spam using harvested addresses from lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 17:27:31 GMT

One of the problems I think Lugnet has with spam is that, even if it
automatically adds spamcakes to obfuscate lightly the email addresses of people,
these addresses are plainly visible when one clicks the "view raw message"
option (which renders the spamcake a bit pointless IMHO).

So the only valid solution is to either post with a dummy address, which is
against the TOS as far as I know, or create a free address you'll use just for
that (and, basically, ignore).

That said, I registered recently, and so far I didn't get that much of spam via
Lugnet; and I know when it comes from there as the address is different. If you
use the exact same email for a lot of difference email services, then there's no
telling which one the spammers got your address from.

Anyway I think you're better off with a good spam filter; and if possible one
which doesn't run on your PC, but at your service provider itself. No reason to
download spam you're just going to delete.

Jean-Marc