 General / 53613
Re: LEGO® Group The world’s most reputable company of 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 22:20:24 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Todd Thuma wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Bryan Wong wrote:
   It’s interesting how the change they implemented around 2003/04 created a huge schism within the AFOL community, but really had no major effect whatsoever on how the average consumer views/viewed TLG. TLG probably lost a lot of our trust because of that move, but by including us in their product development, I’m sure they’ve started to win it back.

Bryan,

Interesting choice of words, “schism.” Schism is often associated with the division or split of great and permanent nature among religions or religious sects. The Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church is an example of a great schism dating back to the 11th Century. By your choice of words are you implying that your LEGO Religion has been divided greatly and permanently from the company?

Now that I think about it, “schism” may have been the wrong word. I didn’t intend on making any religious implications. Perhaps “uproar” would be the preferred word, or rift, because there’s definitely 3 camps: those who like the change, those who don’t like the change but have learned to live with it (majority), and those who remain in the past (myself). But let’s not get off topic!

   Regardless, I do not believe your statement to be true. First, what change are you referring too that was implemented in 2003/2004? Are you referring to the change in the color Gray? I will confine my statements to that event as I speak further. I think the change did cause a major effect among The LEGO Group. The change they made for reasons known in part to us and in full by them resulted in a broad concern among their adult fans. They were caught a little, okay a lot, off-guard by this. TLG recognized from that point on that major changes such as this would need to be preempted by a little marketing in the future, the hallmark of any good company seeking to raise or restore trust among its customers. So in essence average customer views played a big role in helping TLG to be aware of our concerns about issues they had not previously considered.

Yes, I was referring to the colour change. You’re right, the incident helped remind TLG the importance of taking our concerns into consideration - something that other companies do very little, if any.

   Clearly, we, the AFOL community (and those TFOL and CFOL in this community), have played a role in enabling TLG to acheive their #1 status. I intend to celebrate their success with a large cup of Bick-O-Brick.

Unfortunately, the closest LEGO store to me is over 2 hours away so I won’t be able to celebrate as easily. :)

Regards, -Bryan