 General / 53297
  How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

The other day I found myself pondering a few things: How big is the AFOL community? And perhaps more interestingly, why is it the size that it is? I started thinking about this with all the discussion about LEGO conferences and shows being put on. (...) (18 years ago, 27-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

When I think of the state of Lego AFOLdom, I realize there are more of us than there were science fiction fans in 1939. Having sat at those guys' knees and listened to their stories and realizing how small their network was, I couldn't help compare (...) (18 years ago, 27-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

(...) It seems to me that our community is more like comic book or sci-fi fanzine _publishers_ than readers. We actively create something, which requires a lot more effort than consuming the creative work of others. Your distinction about the bulk (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

(...) I think Steve has put his put his finger on the answer to the question. The hobby of LEGO, if you want to call it that is participant hobby--one which necessitates a great deal of creativity and energy, while watching NFL football is a (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

In lugnet.general, Tommy Armstrong wrote: <snip> (...) That makes sense (re: what Steve and Tommy are saying). AFOLs are more like comic publishers, not comic readers. So thank you for that insight, I hadn't thought of it that way. <snip> (...) (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

(...) well i think the obvious answer is yes. lego unlike comic books, make you think. anyone who is talented as a lego builder has the ablity to think 3 dimentionaly and has a fairly strong grasp of mathmatical principles. (...) you have to think, (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

(...) I second that. I'd love to see a sequel to the book, although I'm not sure of the market for it. Comments, Allan? - Kelly (18 years ago, 28-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

(...) I second that. I'd love to see a sequel to the book, although I'm not sure of the market for it. Comments, Allan? - Kelly I really think as BrickJournal evolves over the next few years, much of that will be done. For example the profiles of (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jan-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?

(...) Ben-- First off, I’m new here. So if I repeat anything from elsewhere, I’ll just apologize now and be done with it, okay? As an AFOL (and long time LEGO fan!) I suspect the answer has something to do with the public perception of LEGO. Unlike (...) (18 years ago, 29-Jan-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)