 General / 53306
Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:20:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ben Fleskes wrote:
   The other day I found myself pondering a few things: How big is the AFOL community? And perhaps more interestingly, why is it the size that it is?

I started thinking about this with all the discussion about LEGO conferences and shows being put on.

It seems to me, that the LEGO hobby community is pretty small. Especially when compared to things like Science Fiction or Comic Books. Simply judging by the size of the conventions. Science Fiction conferences and Comic Book conferences attract thousands upon thousands of paying attendees.

Is it that there is just that many more adults reading comic books then playing with LEGO. And if so, why?

What is it that keeps LEGO, in terms of an adult hobby, from being as popular as comic books and any number of other hobbies?

It seems to me the LEGO adult hobby is growing, but not particularily fast, or perhaps I’m wrong. Sure there was a big growth in the number of clubs in the United states, but has that leveled off? Seems to me it has. Or atleast slowed down.

So I’m left wondering, is there something holding the hobby back? Is it that the hobby is solely dependent on one and only one company - that being the LEGO company? Where as, with comic books for example, there are lots of companies pumping out comic books of all flavors and styles. Some small, some large, but there is something for everyone.

Is it that LEGO holds the most appeal to engineers and other similarily educated people?

I’d like to imagine a world in the future, where LEGO, as an adult hobby, is as popular as say ‘Playing Poker’ or ‘Monday Night Football’. A future with AFOL conventions, not with a 100-300 people, but with 10,000 - 30,000 people 1, all building great things with LEGO.

Is the hobby heading that way now, or would something different have to happen to get there? And if so, what would it be?

I’d like to know what others think on the topic.

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes

1 I’ve heard that LEGOWorld in Europe draws about 20,000 people but I believe most of those are simply people coming to see the LEGO stuff, not people who have built it.

Ben--

First off, I’m new here. So if I repeat anything from elsewhere, I’ll just apologize now and be done with it, okay?

As an AFOL (and long time LEGO fan!) I suspect the answer has something to do with the public perception of LEGO. Unlike comic books or Sci-Fi, which often has themes geared for older people (or at the very least, teens) LEGO suffers a perception problem: “It’s a kid’s toy.”

Now, you and I know better--much better! But in my personable opinion, LEGO has only recently started to address the needs of the adult LEGO fan, and that in fits and spurts. Things like the wall of bricks in the stores, and making elements easier to order have helped the adult builder far more than the young builder.

(Of course, the SpongeBob models don’t help the public’s perception much. Bleh!)

The Model Team sets are a great example of this as well. These were not really designed for younger builders (although I am sure there were many youth who enjoyed them!), but us older builders. After all--we were the only ones who could afford them!

Anime and Manga have helped revitalize a sagging comic book industry by taking the graphic novel, and moving them more to a “perfect bound” series format. (Check out your local bookstore for examples of this.) Nothing wrong with that--but it put whole series in a much more readable format. Otherwise, some series could go for years on end.

Sci-Fi conventions were aided greatly by both Star Trek and Star Wars; I’ve been to some of those conventions. I’m not so sure a 10,000 fan LEGO convention would be all that attractive to me. Oh, it might be fun, I’ll grant you, but that’s a boatload of folks, when you think about it. Even half that would create some serious issues, however. Here’s my example:

I belong to the Barbershop Harmony Society. Every year we have a convention somewhere. This year, it’s coming to Denver...and you can bet I’m heading for the LEGO shop at Denver Mills while I’m there! We regularly have 6000-8000 or more people there...it jams the hotels, fills the restaurants, and can be tough getting around to the various venues. This is not a complaint; it is simply a statement of fact. That many people is a major, major convention! My wife belongs to Sweet Adelines International, and when we attend their conventions, it’s pretty much the same issues.

Now, in all fairness, those conventions run a week. Compact that into a weekend, and maybe it won’t be so bad. Then again, cramming that number into anything less than a convention center gets to be expensive. That takes away from one’s ability to financially undertake the convention. (And it is, in fact, why I stopped going to Sci-Fi and Anime/Manga cons. I just could not justify the cost/pleasure ratio.)

Now...add to that the youth who’d want to attend such a LEGO convention...! (I know, this is an adult thing...but work with me here a moment.) Could we really stand to have a convention of 10,000 people? (In one very loose sense, we do. It’s open daily, in Carlsbad.) That’s a lot of people! Anyway, it’s a thought.

What needs to happen, (and again, it’s just my opinion here!) is that LEGO needs to work at pursuing the adults who grew up with LEGO, and not just their kids. (Or their grandkids, for all that.) Some of the models are heading in the right direction. Think about the Sopwith Camel, for example. Why build a 737 when you could have a piece of history?

Do that...and work at it for 5-10 years, not 3-6 months, not a year or two...and you’ll start to see some changes. LEGO would have to back this for the long haul.

And, we have to keep at it too. We have to do our part to let folks know that it’s better than okay to have fun with LEGO...it’s cool.

I’ll get off my soapbox now. Sorry for the long winded answer....

Play Well, Ben!

Matthew

PS--By the way...I’m not an engineer. I’m a theologian. Math and I are not on speaking terms.