 General / 53298
Re: How big is the hobby and how big can it be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 04:56:00 GMT

When I think of the state of Lego AFOLdom, I realize there are more of us than
there were science fiction fans in 1939.

Having sat at those guys' knees and listened to their stories and realizing how
small their network was, I couldn't help compare it to the experience of
recognizing most of the BrickFest names already from Lugnet. Except, in 1939,
they knew each other from letter columns and mimeographs.

Attendance at WorldCon peaked in 1952 at 850 when the guest was Hugo Gernsback,
the equivalent of having Kjeld attend BrickFest.

It's 50 years on, and science fiction is so mainstream that people watch it on
TV and just call it "drama".

I don't think our size is unusual.