 General / 52117
  Lego Hobby Blues

The thrill is gone. There's so much about our hobby that has changed over the last few years and a lot of it has changed for the worse. LUGNET This used to be THE place that the online community got together and talked about the hobby. Now, it has a (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) <SNIP> (...) A lot of people have been complaining about Classic-Castle, Classic-Space and all the other websites 'responsible for the fractioning of Lugnet.' So here are some points that you and others may have not thought about: New Blood: (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

Hi Thomas, --SNIP-- I'm not going to comment on the first section as I am not sure myself what I prefer there. (...) AFOLs are people and people like to gossip. The Swanberg case is just spomething to gossip about really, much like the Michael (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) Whoops... looking back, change that to 2 years, 3 months. --Anthony (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

Hello Thomas, Your posting caught my eye today as you're obviously unhappy with the way you see things. At the bottom of your message you say: (...) I'm hoping to provide some discussion. As to whether or not that also constitutes "insight" is up to (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

Hey Thomas, A good and thoughtful post, but I have to disagree with some of the points. Swanberg - Yes, there is the Michael Jackson factor and we all like to gossip, but I do think there were some relevant questions that did impact the community: (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) These are good and valid points. The kind of thing that I totally understand being thought about and discussed. But there seemed an almost "stone him" kind of mean-spiritedness about what I saw online too. (...) I do this kind of thing too!! (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) Yeah, it seems Lugnet's kinda dead. I've noticed this for a while. (...) Well, I don't think they detract from the community, if that's your concern. Ambassadors help spread the news, help take in ideas to Lego and that's not a bad thing. (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) (snipped a lot of interesting stuff) (...) Look into LENNI.. while it does not allow you to post from a single interface, the aggregation it gives you at least gives you a single view of the many communities that choose to make their content (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) My bad, working from memory. The acronym is now ILENN. Here's the (URL) announcement> (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

Thomas, Good Afternoon! Things aren't all bad...it sounds to me as if you're sorely needing a building break. So do I! But don't let that fool you into thinking things are worse overall; really, this is a matter of perspective. (...) One thing about (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) And a newer announcement (URL) here>. ROSCO (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) Yes, I would concur with this. But I don't see it as being all bad. IMHO, the more choices the better for everyone. Some forums Murrfle at the drop of a hat...some seem Elitist...others are full of drivel. Take for instance JLUG - it is not (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) I'd say some of the fun in gone, but maybe it is just out of our reach and it is up to us to make the most of it. I personnaly have so many driving and creative juices I could be occupied for the next umpteen years. Does the community hold the (...) (19 years ago, 7-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) Then take a break. I know I have, many times. I haven't updated my website in almost a year. I've got about five completed projects that I would love to photograph and display, but I'm too busy trying to find a new career. Lego as a hobby is (...) (19 years ago, 8-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) <snip Legofan paragraph> (...) I think your concern over your Lego hobby is a bit hard on yourself. Those of us in the 'developed world' often spend more on a burger then some families in less fortunate parts have to feed a family for a week. (...) (19 years ago, 9-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote a lot (...) I will keep it short as I can as some of these are long. Swanberg is an issue because no one has done what he has or at least hasn't been caught doing it. It's a big deal because it reflects poorly on (...) (19 years ago, 9-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) I look at my spending as a pack and a half of cigarettes a day! Face it, if you're working, paying taxes, you deserve something for yourself. I don't believe we're all here to just scrape by. Like the Rush song - ROLL THE BONES! "Why are we (...) (19 years ago, 10-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

Cheer up, emo kid. There's no reason you should be hinging all that on whether or not you got responses for a given MOC. If number of responses is the only way you measure your model's worth, maybe you should try harder to be impressive. Also, (...) (19 years ago, 11-Dec-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

In lugnet.general, Soren Roberts wrote: Whateva... (19 years ago, 11-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

Thank you for the nice personal email. I'd just like to say; you were right. Look at what just happend. I'll keep in mind what you said regarding that. e (19 years ago, 11-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Hobby Blues

(...) I dunno, I think it can seem that way sometimes, but it helps me to remember all the cool sets/themes that have come out in the last few years (Star Wars, Legends, Designer series, Vikings, expanded parts packs & factory, just to name a few). (...) (19 years ago, 11-Dec-05, to lugnet.general)