 General / 52117
52116  |  52118
Subject:
Lego Hobby Blues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:53:38 GMT

The thrill is gone.  There's so much about our hobby that has changed over the
last few years and a lot of it has changed for the worse.

LUGNET

This used to be THE place that the online community got together and talked
about the hobby.  Now, it has a fraction of the news it used to have.

Yeah, there are other sites now -- but I don't want to have to visit 10
different sites to get what I used to get in ONE place.  Plus, there's little to
none of the cross-pollination that having Lego stuff centralized on LUGNET
provided.  Classic-Castle, Classic-Space?  I never go to those sites, whereas I
used to see some cool castle and space stuff on LUGNET and enjoyed it, even
though those areas aren't my primary interest.

Where are people getting news these days?  LEGOFan?  The few times I have
visited that site, it seems to be directed at a different audience (those new to
Lego?).  And why is the closer integration with a TLG a good idea?  I mean,
really...wasn't there something kinda cool about FANS building with Lego without
any involvement from the company?  What's the benefit?  Lego Ambassadors?
Certified Builders?  Have any of these developments actually increased anyone's
enjoyment of just clicking together bricks?  Is having a handful of regular
people "in-the-know" a benefit to you personally or to a sense of community?

THINGS THAT ARE WRONG

Our interest in the Swanberg case -- it's a court case, it's a person's life, it
only has to do with Lego incidentally.

Our addiction -- how much Lego is too much?  I probably had about 100 sets when
I was a kid, built up over 4-5 years -- now I have 60,000 pieces.  I feel bad
about this.  I want to buy more Lego, but why?  What's reasonable?  $200 a year?
Is more irresponsible?  There are people living in poverty all over the world --
it's kinda sickening to think I spend more on a toy in a month than some people
spend on food. :(  I'd really like to know what a sane amount of money is - not
based on what we have done as a community in the past - but what is really a
moral amount.  Anyone want to really examine this?  Do we dare?

I know this soinds like a complaint - it is - and it's not as structured or
thought out as I had hoped it to be.  But what it comes down to is that I am
looking for answers.  I used to feel good about this hobby.  Some days I still
do.  But I want to know what happened to the community - is it still there?  Is
it thriving or dying?  And I want to know how sane and moral this hobby is.  To
me, these are important questions.  I am hitting a wall coming up with answers
-- I am looking for discussion and insight....

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@charter.net