 General / 52118
Re: Lego Hobby Blues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:33:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
The thrill is gone.  There's so much about our hobby that has changed over the
last few years and a lot of it has changed for the worse.

LUGNET

This used to be THE place that the online community got together and talked
about the hobby.  Now, it has a fraction of the news it used to have.

Yeah, there are other sites now -- but I don't want to have to visit 10
different sites to get what I used to get in ONE place.  Plus, there's little to
none of the cross-pollination that having Lego stuff centralized on LUGNET
provided.  Classic-Castle, Classic-Space?  I never go to those sites, whereas I
used to see some cool castle and space stuff on LUGNET and enjoyed it, even
though those areas aren't my primary interest.

<SNIP>
Thomas Main
thomasmain@charter.net

A lot of people have been complaining about Classic-Castle, Classic-Space and
all the other websites 'responsible for the fractioning of Lugnet.'  So here are
some points that you and others may have not thought about:

New Blood:  When my wife tried to join Lugnet, it took 3 months for her account
to be activated.  I know Todd and Suz and whomever is responsible have lives to
run, and that's fine, but in order for new blood to be brought into the
community, the website needs to be easily accessible to everyone in a reasonable
amount of time.

All Our Eggs In One Basket:  The problem with Lugnet 'back in the day' when it
was THE place for all LEGO disccusion, it was the only place.  That is, there
was only one LEGO universe, and a mainly English speaking one, as well.  But
aside from the need for other languages (or at the very least support for
foreign fonts), if the Lugnet site went down, the universe went down.  Look at
Brickshelf - a few months back when the rumor mill was turning about it shutting
down, what were we going to do?  The LEGO community has become so interdependant
on Brickshelf that if it went down, it took a lot of other sites with it.  If
Lugnet went down, all public communication went down with it.  Multiplicity in
LEGO sites not only gives a more varied environment in a specific topic, but it
also allows for that specific community to go elsewhere in the event the site's
server goes down.

Topic Problems:  "Back in the day," when I was a heavy poster here on Lugnet, I
mainly posted posts about my online illustrated story.  This really upset some
folks who were only interested in MOCs and MOCs alone.  But with only
Lugnet.Castle as the area to post in, all Castle discussion occoured there.  At
Classic-Castle, there are 7 specific sub-forums that divide the topics so that
people who don't want to see topics about stories, or fantasy gaming, or even
set discussion, can avoid that quickly and easily.

Format Problems:  Lugnet isn't for everyone.  You can complain all you want
about people leaving Lugnet, but Lugnet's posting format just isn't for
everyone.  Because of my visibility in years past, I've had many emails from
people new to the hobby, or new the the community, complaining about Lugnet and
the difficulty they have learning the environment, or simply the amount of time
it takes to post here over a simpler, less robust format like PHPBB.

The Niche Market:  Classic-Castle has over 800 registered members, with 141
members with 100 posts or more (some with 3,000 posts).  Classic-Castle has only
been around for 3 years, Lugnet for a lot more, and yet C-C has 75738 forum
posts, where Lugnet.Castle only has 23141.  The fact of the matter is
Classic-Castle has seen more activity in 3 years than Lugnet.Castle has seen in
it's 7 or 8 or however long it's been there.  There was pent up demand for this
type of specified forum, wether we all want to admit it or not.

The only thing constant is change.  Lugnet cannot remain the same and expect the
world to do the same.  To do so is foolish, and to complain about it is
pointless.

--Anthony