 General / 52164
Re: Lego Hobby Blues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 05:13:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
The thrill is gone.  There's so much about our hobby that has changed over the
last few years and a lot of it has changed for the worse.

I dunno, I think it can seem that way sometimes, but it helps me to remember all
the cool sets/themes that have come out in the last few years (Star Wars,
Legends, Designer series, Vikings, expanded parts packs & factory, just to name
a few).

LUGNET

This used to be THE place that the online community got together and talked
about the hobby.  Now, it has a fraction of the news it used to have.

Yeah, there are other sites now -- but I don't want to have to visit 10
different sites to get what I used to get in ONE place.  Plus, there's little to
none of the cross-pollination that having Lego stuff centralized on LUGNET
provided.  Classic-Castle, Classic-Space?  I never go to those sites, whereas  I
used to see some cool castle and space stuff on LUGNET and enjoyed it, even
though those areas aren't my primary interest.

It does feel that way to a certain extent, but I focus on the cool MOCs that are
still posted, many by builders that were here before, but not given as much
attention.  I too like looking at all themes for 'cool' factor & inspiration.

Where are people getting news these days?  LEGOFan?  The few times I have
visited that site, it seems to be directed at a different audience (those new > to Lego?).

I'm not familiar with it, so, I dunno.

And why is the closer integration with a TLG a good idea?  I mean,
really...wasn't there something kinda cool about FANS building with Lego without
any involvement from the company?  What's the benefit?  Lego Ambassadors?
Certified Builders?  Have any of these developments actually increased anyone's
enjoyment of just clicking together bricks?  Is having a handful of regular
people "in-the-know" a benefit to you personally or to a sense of community?

I kinda like the by-fans-for-fans boost it gives - even though the Kristiansen's
were obviously passionate fans or there wouldn't be a LEGO Co.  I'm referring to
the coolness of knowing that people you've talked to on LUGnet, at meetings,
shows, etc. had talent recognized by the LEGO Co. & official master builders.

THINGS THAT ARE WRONG

Our interest in the Swanberg case -- it's a court case, it's a person's life, it
only has to do with Lego incidentally.

Yeah, I only thought it was briefly interesting & only because of the small
relation to the hobby, like "Wow, I can't believe somebody did that to get
LEGO!"

Our addiction -- how much Lego is too much?  I probably had about 100 sets when
I was a kid, built up over 4-5 years -- now I have 60,000 pieces.  I feel bad
about this.  I want to buy more Lego, but why?  What's reasonable?  $200 a year?
Is more irresponsible?  There are people living in poverty all over the world --
it's kinda sickening to think I spend more on a toy in a month than some people
spend on food. :(  I'd really like to know what a sane amount of money is - not
based on what we have done as a community in the past - but what is really a
moral amount.  Anyone want to really examine this?  Do we dare?

This hits home for me big time - my collection is big partly 'cause I've been
collecting since i was 5 & I'm almost 32 now.  Also, since I was able to work
for my own money in summer jobs in high school & now have worked full time for
years, I can pay for my own & therefore buy at my own pace; being my primary
'buying' hobby, I've grown it faster.  Last year during Advent, the guilt of
'toys-for-me-but-some-people-in-the-world-don't-eat' hit hard, so I went to
Confession & talked it over with the Priest & he said that as long as we live on
this earth in our human forms we are material beings & will have material needs
& wants; our job is to not be greedy/idolatrous about material things & to share
what we have, whether it's food, LEGO, our time, talent, etc.  That paricular
priest did say that he loved LEGO.  I realized I could still buy LEGO, I just
need to make sure the hobby does not become an idol to me (taking precedent to
the detriment of my: spiritual life, relationships with family & friends, &
giving to those in need.  I discoverd a very helpful way for me to reduce the
amount LEGO that I buy; for example, getting the  'just-as-cool' $20 LEGO set
instead of the $30 set, or getting 3 $4 or $5 sets instead of the one $20 or $30
set. I'm still getting LEGO, just more efficiently & the extra money I use to
get something for someone else.  I also make it a point to buy LEGO for
Toys-for-Tots program in Advent, & when i can, also send some money for charity
(Food-for-the-Poor, Habitat for Humanity, local charities, etc.)-I'm not
bragging, only telling you what I've found helpful.  Also, if you have other
toys/hobby stuff that you've become disinterested in, give them away & keep your
core hobby.  It allows giving & uncluttering.  LEGO collecting is a moral hobby;
it's mentally stimulating in a positively constructive way & it brings people
together in the sharing of the hobby & ideas.  As with keeping the hobby moral,
we must avoid excess; a extra LEGO treat is not neccessarily bad unless it's
part of a constant, all-consuming, financially selfish/ruinous, compulsive,
exclusion-of-all-else-or-others mindset & lifestyle)

I know this soinds like a complaint - it is - and it's not as structured or
thought out as I had hoped it to be.  But what it comes down to is that I am
looking for answers.  I used to feel good about this hobby.  Some days I still
do.  But I want to know what happened to the community - is it still there?  Is
it thriving or dying?  And I want to know how sane and moral this hobby is.  To
me, these are important questions.  I am hitting a wall coming up with answers
-- I am looking for discussion and insight....

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@charter.net

It's a totally sane & moral hobby with a vibrant community, they're just trying
to hang out in a lot more 'new' places than one, and the responses generated by
your thoughtful & timely question have brought us together & helped us to be a
better, more responsible community.

Hope this helps.

Jeff