 General / 50316
Re: Cool new Lego sculptures at ToysRUs.... Wait a minute, is that?!?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:40:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erik Olson wrote:

Nice photo. The warrior is new style, but that TRU had a life-size bronze knight
sculpture from the first wave of Dragons (2002). When I saw it, my first thought
was: just like Lego, they've built it entirely from parts that have never been
offered to the public.

At that time, the KB on 5th Avenue had many more life-size Megabloks sculptures.

Well, I can't speak with any certainty of Mega Blocks parts, since I have NO
idea what they make one way or the other....

But I CAN tell you that Lego doesn't use non standard parts (well, not anymore).

The last year I was at the park, the head guys in Denmark said we could only use
pieces that were produced in sets. No more getting parts specially produced in
colors they haven't been made in. Of course, we could still use parts that we
had in stock that were produced in colors they haven't been available in, but
once they were gone, that would be it.

But I really don't see this as being a big issue. When I left the company and
started making models from home, I was really worried I wouldn't find the parts
I need to make models like I did at Legoland. But so far there hasn't been a
part I have needed I haven't been able to find on bricklink. I guess when you
look at every piece Lego has produced, in every color they have produced it in
over the history of the company, there is still a LOT to choose from!

Bill