 General / 50308
50307  |  50309
Subject:
Cool new Lego sculptures at ToysRUs.... Wait a minute, is that?!?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:10:11 GMT

Hello all!

I just got back from a business trip to Ney York, where I just finished a HUGE
commision for a family in Long Island. Had some extra time so I decided to check
out the Toys R Us Megastore in Times Square (among other touristy stuff).

I, of course, went straight to the Lego section (sometime I wonder if the sell
other non Lego toys at toy stores, since I never seem to make it anywhere
else!). And look what I saw:

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1138559>>

After doing the obligitory double take, it seems Mega blocks is getting into the
Lego sculpture business (don't know if this is old news to ya'll. But it's new
to me...). Right next to the giant Lego Empire state building, complete with
King Kong, was the Mega blocs section with four surprisingly nice models on
display.

There is the duploish pirate, a really nice sculpture of a Teenage Mutant Ninja
Turtle, a pretty good Power Ranger, and some sort of knight using those aged
looking blocks from the castle sets.

All in all, I was pretty impressed with the quality, if not just a bit taken
aback by the fact they are doing this! I don't know if they have plans on doing
more of this, but it could be a great marketing tool for them. I remember when I
first started seeing large Lego sculptures, and how it inspired me to start
buying bricks and becoming the AFOL I am today (dang you Lego!).

Also, if you click the link or head to my brickshelf gallery, you will see some
nice little instructions Lego has in conjunction with the pick-a-brick section.
They have a pencil box that has the I "heart" New York logo, and a mini Statue
of Liberty. Not a bad selection of bricks there. Very similar to the other Lego
stores selections, with the exception of having the parts needed to make the
above mentioned models!

All in all, I had a GREAT time in the city. I am busier now, more than ever with
Lego projects. I will be uploading more pics of my new models on my brickshelf
folder (right now all I have posted of the 11 models I built for this family is
the guitar). And I am working on FINALLY getting my website built again!

Sorry for being so quiet lately, as this project has taken the last 2 1/2 months
to complete, and I haven't much time for anything else!

Bill