 General / 50198
Re: 50 Years - Lego System of Play
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:26:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Jordan wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
There were 44 new 1955 Lego elements that came out with the Town Plan.

They were:

2x2 quarter circle and 2x4 half circle macaroni bricks (4 different pieces).
1x6 and 1x8 beams (no posts underneath back then).
8 different 1:87 metal wheeled trucks.
16 different flat bottomed road signs.
5 different flat bottomed trees and 1 bush.
3 piece garage kit (1 garage baseplate, 1 garage door frame, 1 garage door).
5 different plates (waffle bottom back then), 2x8, 4x8, 4x8 right curve, 4x8
left curve and 6x8.

Seems to me that Juniorisation was much more of a problem then than it is now.

OK Mark, now I'm stumped.... what parts did you consider juniorised?  The 2x4
half circle macaroni bricks?  Or?

I missed 3 new Lego elements in my 1955 tally.  One was the #200/#1200 Town Plan
board, which originally came out in thin soft plastic that could be rolled up
(in 1957 TLG came out with a hard pressed wood fiberboard version known as
#200A/#1200A.  The other 2 new 1955 elements were what we today call "decorated
bricks" or the Brits call "named beams", namely 1x6 and 1x8 beams with names on
them in Danish or Swedish such as "VW SALG", "GARAGE" "SLAGTER", "KOMBAND"
"TAXA", "TOBAK", "HOTEL" and "ESSO" (in red).

Gary Istok