 General / 50098
Re: highlighting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:09:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Arthur wrote:
   I have three questions on highlighting.

1. Can one highlight one’s own post? (I’m not a member, so I do not know).

2. Can Admin-A highlight Admin-B’s Admin post? (should they be able to?)

3. Should Admins be able to highlight any post in any group?

Scott A

I will answer the “can” questions and the “should” questions are just opinion.

Yes, you “can” highlight your own post and yes Admins “can” highlight another Admins post.

IMO as for “should”, Admins are readers and part of the hobby as well, so I think them having the ability to pick post they deem worthy and highlight it only seems fair. I would also think that that means (giving it is a team of 7 or so) when they post an official post that they feel is paramount, you could easily assume as an act of solidarity there would quickly be at least 7 highlights of said post. For a short moment, that may seem like they can control the board, if they so choose, but that makes the assumption they all agree on the issue being delivered and all run to highlight it.

For that to be considered a problem in my mind, you would also have to assume that no other groups or cliques are doing that as well, be it intentionally or non-intentionally it happens often. Often members of the same Lug will highlight fellow Lug members posts in an act of support or groups of ppl running events will highlight those event posts for further promotion of that event.

I often wonder is it morally correct to highlight your own post. I am sort of fence sitter when it comes to that. I would never highlight my babbling, or personally opinions but at a time of flame wars I am tempted to highlight a moc posting regardless of “greatness” or who created it (including myself). Personally, I spotlight or highlight lots of new moc postings I come across even when I am not driven to make a comment. Does that mean I think they are all out of this world amazing? Not at all, although a lot of them are. It is my opinion that any moc at least deserves a look at and I would hate for it to get missed because of it quickly getting buried under a flutter of other postings. Rarely do I spotlight someone’s opinion, but often I will highlight event or official postings just to allow those that don’t read every post to be able to catch those as well.

Janey “Red Brick”