 General / 50096
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:39:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

Actually, the reference to "English language" was to recognize the non-English
speaking LEGO-related communities around the world - De Bouwsteen, 1000Steine,
FreeLUG, BrickInside, and many many more. It's natural that language is a
barrier between communities... I know very little about those communities,
although I'd like to know more.

I just wanted to modify the original "LUGNET is pretty much the de facto center
of the English-speaking AFOL community." to suggest that we're the center of the
non-theme-specific English-speaking AFOL community.  Perhaps I'm just being a
partisan since I'm very active on classic-castle, but various sites like cc.com,
FBTB (before the crash and hopefully once again soon), the Bricklink forum, the
Brickfilms forum, the new Classic Space forum, BionicleZone (okay, you did say
AFOL, but even so), etc are all their own hubs, and in some cases outweigh the
related Lugnet forum.

Maybe the phrase "a place where most English-speaking communities connect" would
be a more accurate term for LUGNET, since "center" does imply the other
communities would orbit around LUGNET, which I don't think is accurate. So
thanks for pointing that out.

Right now, if I want to find out overall what's happening in the
(English-speaking) AFOL world, I think LUGNET is the best single place to find
that information. Many of the other communities you reference have
representatives that post on LUGNET regularly - for example, I am one of three
owners of BZPower. Lenny Hoffman's on CC, Mark Pappenfuss is active on the
BrickLink forum, and so on. But even though I really like a lot of the other
communities (for instance, I get nearly all my LEGO SW info from FBTB), I don't
visit them on a daily basis like I do LUGNET and BZP. I have a pretty good idea
that if it's important enough, the info from those areas will filter its way
onto LUGNET somehow.

Without LUGNET, I think the various LEGO-related communities (AFOL or not) would
be far more balkanized, and the exchange of information between different
communities would be much less than it is now. That's part of the reason I've
chosen to try to help as much as I can here - keeping LUGNET healthy is vital to
the overall AFOL community.

If Lugnet had the ability to host Asian character sets, maybe it would
foster more ties between our communities.

Possibly - although I still can't read Kanji. :)

Most of it's a browser setting, but the text would have to be stored in a
character set like UTF-8, JIS, SJIS, or EUC-JP, for example.

That also implies there would need to be an interface available for that
language, which would definitely be helpful. I don't believe anybody on the
transition team has the language skill to pull that off, though I may be wrong.
And that certainly doesn't mean that somebody else interested in helping
couldn't do that for LUGNET.

It all really comes back to the core question of, "What does LUGNET want to be?"
What does this community want and need from LUGNET? That's an open question, I
encourage everyone to share their thoughts on that.

- Kelly