 General / 50091
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 04:13:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jamie Obrien wrote:
Is common sense totally dead? Has Political Correctness finally taken over?
About the only time i see the language as going to far is in personal attacks.
Other times it can be justified, by the line and extent does vary, between
CULTURES. How can we not offend somebodies beliefs if we aren't aware of them?
What happens if we do?

Fear not, Political Correctness(TM) is not encroaching on LUGNET. I'm not sure
how to equate "be respectful of each other" with my definition of political
correctness, which is closer to "you must value what I value." I certainly don't
expect people to value what I value, or even agree what those values are. My
hope and request is that you (generic "you" as in everybody) don't expect me to
bow to your beliefs either. I respect the fact that you have your values, and I
expect the same back.

If i have my own PC beliefs, which are quite anti-PC, they are mine.
But i don't like having others trying to apply their own to me.
I respect theirs, but should i have to change, conform to them.

That's exactly the point. Right on. You shouldn't, nor should I.

Isn't that then Oppression.

Well, actually it's not. It's rudeness, but it's not oppression. :)

Also, are you implying that because it's a center for English speakers, any
other language is open slather? If i gather a few Arab, Chinese or Japanese
friends we can post (If they have the capability that is.. aghh the web!)
whatever, because how can the admins judge what they can't read. We had that
problem on the japanese serevers for a while. finding someone who could
read/write japanese/korean/chinese that we could trust ws interesting. And which
english would you propose we stick to. Sorry that was a bit of a low shot, but i
kind of like the various flavours around, even if im too gutless/scared to jump
in any more.

Actually, the reference to "English language" was to recognize the non-English
speaking LEGO-related communities around the world - De Bouwsteen, 1000Steine,
FreeLUG, BrickInside, and many many more. It's natural that language is a
barrier between communities... I know very little about those communities,
although I'd like to know more.

Your point about non-English posts on LUGNET is something we've also discussed.
If the admins have on a "hall monitor" hat, then we'd be, not to put too fine a
point on it, screwed. But in fact, I think the various languages used here prove
my earlier point, in a way... frankly, I have no idea whether or not any of the
local language areas within LUGNET do or do not have profanity. But I have a
pretty good idea that if it were a problem, we would've heard about it. (Being a
relative newbie at the LUGNET admin game, I will acknowledge this may have been
or is a problem. But it's not one I've heard about.)

As for Todd and Suzannes gift to us all, at the moment i strongly believe their
is trouble. The fun for the most part has gone. The personalities that once lit
the site have moved on. If people aren't having fun, they'll tend to be more
argumentative, they'll be more on edge, and it doesn't take much to irritate an
itchy finger.

Too true. Let's try something when reading a post: how does this sound...
* If a post offends me, was the poster seriously trying to offend me?
* If not, why should I let it bug me?
* If so, why should I let it bug me?

It takes two for an offense: one person to intend it, and another to accept it.
That's two chances to let it go.

We need a director of fun :)

That's not a bad idea. I nominate... hmm, who do I nominate... gotta think about
that one...

Personal attacks aren't fun to read and tend to sour, and word does spread.

Yes. But (playing devil's advocate), flareups are kind of fun to read in a
"National Enquirer" kind of way (non-American translation: finding low pleasure
in reading trashy newspaper gossip). If this were an American TV network, the
ratings would be through the roof!

It's fun to watch, not so fun to live.

The rules need to be really simple, really clear. A simple definition of what is
forbidden, yes just make it forbidden. I can onlt think of 2 english words that
are what i'd describe as bad. And create an Official Outline of what is
considered acceptable and where. Make it clear.

Actually, I can make it simpler than that, even. If I had to limit it down to a
single rule to govern LUGNET, here it is:

Respect One Another.

All else flows from there. The ToS are just ways of helping people do that.

The problem with rules is there will ALWAYS be a way around rules. Always. You
can't regulate human nature, and we recognize that and accept it. What we can do
is try to explain WHY we're doing what we're doing, and hope that enough people
agree and want to help make a difference.

Political Correcteness is bad enough, having it used as a form of oppression is
something we need to fight :)

Although I think I'd have to understand your definition of Political Correctness
(I have a feeling mine isn't the same as yours) to say "Ya!", I agree with the
sentiment. It sounds like you want to help make LUGNET a great place again - and
for that I thank you.

- Kelly