 General / 50023
50022  |  50024
Subject:
Thanks a lot, guys, you've made me hate LUGNET.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:55:12 GMT

(As much as I hate big dramatic “Look at me, I quit” posts, I truly feel the need to say this, not to bring attention to myself, but to get this off my chest.)

When I was in high school (and all through college, for that matter), LUGNET was around to remind me why I still played with plastic blocks - They were still cool to someone, and that’s all I needed. I used to spend hours lurking around the various newsgroups, just checking out others’ ideas and occasionally piping up with a suggestion or MOC of my own. If I wanted to read an interesting discussion or get some cool building ideas, LUGNET was my first stop.

Lately, I’ve been reading and posting a lot less, and this week I finally admitted something to myself:

I hate LUGNET now.

That’s right, the place I and many others found as a place to share ideas and talk about the brick has become a source of anger and frustration for me. I shouldn’t have to tell anyone why; look through any of the newsgroups’ posts within the last year and you’ll find nothing but bickering, backbiting, and a general lack of everything I used to like about this place. Frankly, I can’t stand to read most of the tripe that gets posted anymore, and it’s become too daunting a task to dig through it for the real content. It seems like the only people left talking about what should be a fulfilling hobby are the ones who hate it.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s been turned off by this change, and I’m sure many others more optimistic (or stubborn) than myself will hold out longer, but I can’t handle it any more. Don’t get me wrong; I’ll still be building, and I’ll still love to look at other people’s work, but I just won’t be doing it through this particular community until I see a reason to come back.

OK, that’s what I came here to say. Hopefully this can start a civil, constructive discussion, but if you feel the need to continue LUGNET’s more recent stellar attitude and want someone to berate, my E-mail address is at the top of this post.

-jeremiah-