 General / 49675
Re: Weetabix Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:09:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Shifflett wrote:
Hi All,
I have recently acquired a Weetabix Castle set.
I also have all three of the other sets.
Now my problem,
the castle doesn't look like it belongs.
It looks older than the other three,
it doesn't have any mini-figs (even the old style)
like the other three.
But the capper is the instructions.
For the castle, the instructions look like most
other lego sets, not like a promo.
But the other three look promo like,
just a LEGO logo in the corner,
no date, no form #, no 'Printed in' info.

Is there any other info to indicate that the castle set
really was from the Weetabix promotion,
or do I just have to take the word
of those who have been researching lego longer,
and know the history better.

Was there ever an order form included with the instructions?
I have the 'Life' Puppet set instructions and part of them
includes an order form for other promo sets.
I also have a Kraft/Velveeta order form which lists seven
different sets that could be ordered.

Thanks for any info,
Keep on bricking

Dave

Dave,

The castle, in all those colors, has the unfortunate resemblence to a MOC that
kids would make up if they didn't have enough pieces to build a big building all
in one color.  Like Eric said, the castle was earlier than the other Weetabix
items.  By the way, what is Weetabix anyway?  A British cereal?

I noticed that you are into "promotional items".  Well Eric has also found what
I would call the "king of promotional items".  That would be a variation of the
#810 British Town Plan set for British Kellogg's Corn Flakes.  It seems that TLG
Britain had about 2250 leftover Town Plan sets after the Town Plan was
discontinued in 1966 (or at least they had enough spare parts to create 2250
more).  Eric found an old (1967?) Kellogg's advertisement that shows how to win
this set.  And by the way, the set also contains a Lego motor, something that a
Town Plan set would never have.  This set must contain nearly 1000 pieces.

Gary Istok