 General / 49279
Re: A Set within a Set.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:23:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In this case a Lego book (with number) came within a set.  Are there any sets
that came within a set? Not attached on the outside like the creator set with
the 500 extra parts, but actually a set within a set.

You mean besides all of the minifig-scale multipacks?  Those things were
cranking out one or two a year for at least a decade, but the last time I saw
one was from the Life On Mars line.  There's also the Mos Espa Podrace set,
which contains three boxes, each of which contains all of the stuff required to
build one of three podracers (though I believe there are a few differences
between the contents of the MEP Anakin's Podracer and the single-boxed version
of the same).  There are five BIONICLE sets that I can think of as well.  There
was a Takutanuva set that combined the contents of both the Takanuva and Makuta
sets (plus a bonus exclusive mask thrown in)(oddly, while they printed a new box
to hold the parts from both sets, the instruction booklets and part bags showed
the original set numbers), and this year there's an Ultimate Dume set that
combines the Turaga Dume/Nivawk, Krekka, and Nidhiki sets (again with a bonus
exclusive mask added).  There was also a Blockbuster promotion where the six 2nd
Generation Matorans were paired up with a gold-colored Mask of Light and
released shortly before the MoL movie went on sale.  The oddest thing I've run
across, though, is the recent Kabaya Star Wars exclusives, which come boxed, but
with fully-decorated polybags inside.