 General / 49194
Re: A Set within a Set.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:05:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ronald Borchert wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

   This book first came out in late 1959, and can be found in about 20 different variations (found in different languages, and these can be found in 1960-61 subvariaton (no wheels/no black bricks), a 1962-63 subvariation (with wheels/black bricks, but no small plates), a 1964-65 subvariation (with all the above plus small plates) and a 1966-68 subvariaton (with no Town Plan).

This Swedish version of #238 happens to be the first subvariaton (1960-61).

Hi,

I wonder why the UK version of this book

to be seen here: http://www.hccamsterdam.nl/brick/setlist/index.htm

is called “Ideas Book No.2” when in the other versions there is a big “1” in the inside flap of the first page.

Btw. I own one danish and three german copies of this book, all have wheels but no plates in it. This might be the most common version of tis book.

Greetings Ronald

Thanks Ronald,

The easiest way to tell them apart is in Section 5 - Trains. The use of wheels, black bricks, and plates on the trains makes this the easiest way to tell them apart.

I have a 1960-61 version USA Samsonite (USA Lego started in 1961), a 1962-63 German version, and a 1964-65 International version (no words). Only the German version had the foldover flap that says “Lego Ideen Buch 1”. The USA version only says “Idea Book” on the cover with no flap. The International version says nothing on it.

Interestingly the USA Samsonite version is only 24 pages, whereas the others are 32 pages (excluding the inside covers).

Also intersting about the front and back cover of #238 is that it shows the 15 different nation flags (and the Lego flag) that Lego made in the #242 parts pack sets of 1957-65 with the waving flags.

Interestingly enough, there is a predecessor to #238. It is a very rare 10 page booklet (in German) that dates to late 1957 (it shows set #700/2 which ended production in 1957). One of the diagrams in it shows blue classic doors and 1x6x3 blue panorama windows (these were never released in blue). This rare old booklet was found by Eric Strand, who is graciously letting me use it in my Lego CD.

Gary Istok A Lego addict since 1960.