 General / 49154
Re: Need a building tip!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:47:26 GMT

"David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:I4LxKB.Jq7@lugnet.com...
Hey all,

For my latest project, I want to build a medium-size spacecraft with wings
angled down at about 30 degrees.  I've tried a couple of configurations
using Technic beams, but nothing fit exactly.  They were all off just • enough
to tell me that the fit might work, but that the bricks would be stressed
too much for my tastes.  I also looked at angled studless beams, but the
angles are all 45 degrees, which is too steep for the look I want.  The • base
of the wings (the part that will be attached to the fuselage) has to be
fixed and very strong, because I want the major part of the wings fold
upwards for landing.  I don't want to use click-hinges at all.

Can anyone recommend a website with pictures or suggest a technique that I
could try?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the "Technic" / "Bionicle" approach?
To make a strong hinge with Technic parts you can use one part in the wing
that have a cross-axel hole in the end and put an axel and a gear connected
to this axel. Then you can use the Worm Screw tanget to the gear...  hope
you understand my poor english explanation.

And there are actually some Bionicle parts that is specialized to make an
hinge that could be adjusted by an worm screw or gear.

Look at pictures of an Bionicle figure to get an idea of how this is done.

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
Norway

David Simmons